Sunday, April 24, 2011

Welcome!

I'm excited to be able to have a space to talk exclusively about newborns!  My mom actually gave me the idea to start a blog, and I've let it marinate for awhile.  There's an ocean of information out there, and so much advice (asked for or not) given to new parents.  My hope is that for new moms and dads reading this, they will find it to be a great resource based on the most up-to-date recommendations in newborn care. Grandparents are wonderful, but how many times do I have to explain to a mom why it's not good to add Karo syrup or cereal to a 3 week old's bottle?  Some things that we used to do are not so much recommended anymore....and for good reason!  There are thousands of baby products floating around as well, and I'm often asked what's really necessary or beneficial for a new baby, as well as what kind of everything to buy.  I'm happy to share what I've found works best, what you might want on your shopping list, and also welcome advice and suggestions from others!  I'll also be posting a lot about sensitive caregiving and practicing attunement to baby, as this is really the foundation for raising a secure, happy, well-adjusted child.  It all starts from birth....or does it?  Actually, we know now that the prenatal period is just as influential in determining our baby's disposition and who he or she grows up to be.....so we can talk about that here too. Am looking forward to discussions and feedback from others, so it can be an interactive blog.  Do I know everything there is to know about newborns?  Hardly!  They are always teaching me, and my knowledge keeps evolving....it's a fun journey.

3 comments:

  1. My mother said that doctors used to suggest dipping the pacifier in whiskey to help the baby sleep too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt TT, I like your blog. Love, Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adelaide, we can post pics of the new baby and tell stories about her when she arrives!

    ReplyDelete